Saturday, July 16, 2011

Notes from Norton

A few random notes about our time down here:

1. Elevation. Each day I walk about a half-mile to school (Spanish language school) around 7 am, then back to the house around noon. It's not too far length-wise, but our village is built on a hill and Antonio's house (where we are staying) is at the top of the hill and the school is at the bottom. It's 400 ft elevation change on my short walk. I have an altimeter and have measured it. If that doesn't mean much to you, just think about being on the top level of a 40-story building and walking down the stairs each morning to the ground floor, then back up 4 hours later. I'm not complaining...it's great exercise and I love walking through the village. But it's life here. And we (the whole family) actually walk about halfway down (200 ft.) to another house for breakfast, then Janis and the kids walk back up, then back down for dinner and back up to the house. And sometimes in the pouring rain. Surprisingly, the kids have done pretty well. They don't complain too much about the walk and seem to have settled into this way of life.

You know what's crazy? In Denver, we live 2 flat blocks (literally) from King Soopers, Rite-Aid, Sunflower Market, the public library, Starbucks, the park, etc. And how often do we walk? Practically never. It's amazing how enculturated we are in Denver. Driving is just what we do.

2. The big city. When I told Rosa, my Spanish teacher, how big Denver was, her first comment was "Muchos banditos?" Because of the large amount of gangs, thugs, and crime that happens in Guatemala City, in her mind, big city = violence.

3. Getting the word right. I don't know why I keep doing it, but it seems like every other time I mention Janis to my Spanish teacher, I call her "mi esposo". That means "my husband". "Esposa" with an "a" is the feminine form of the word spouse, meaning wife. I should say "mi esposa" not "mi esposo". It's just a slip-up, but I wonder if my teacher is beginning to think that I actually have an "alternative lifestyle."

4. LLuvia (rain). I love the dry climate of Denver. I don't miss the humidity of the south (NC, GA, or TX) at all. But there is something attractive about the weather here. It's rainy season, and that means it rains (lluvia) almost every day. I think we've had 2 non-rain days in the last 15. Most mornings it's sunny or partly cloudy and beautiful: a crisp 55 degrees. Sometimes it will start raining by noon and set in all day long. But oftentimes, it gets to a perfect 75 degrees during the afternoon while clouds gather over the lake; then by 4, 5, or 6 pm, the rain starts falling in buckets. And frequently, all night long. I guess it could put you in a melancholy mood if you lean that way. But it's a welcome change from Colorado and there's nothing like sleeping with the windows open while it's pouring rain.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

You've probably heard, but you picked a great time to be away from Denver. It's rained (often flash flood style) probably 10 of the last 15 days. No joke. And you'd think we were back in the south 85-95 and humid. Enjoy Guatemala's weather and hope this wacky weather is gone before you get back!